Monday, February 13, 2012

My NOLA

Well I think it's time I explained my New Orleans obsession... It's hard to put something like a city into words. I am well aware that when I say "I LOVE New Orleans" people automatically see Bourbon Street and drunks and crazy wild fun in their brains. Now while I have been on Bourbon several times after dark and I do agree that the sleazy nightlife could be a big draw for lots of people, that has absolutely nothing to do with my obsession. I'm afraid Joe Francis and his "Girls Gone Wild" crew have a very different philosophy than the most famous Krewes that the town is more appropriately known for starting..
My first experience with NOLA actually dates back to my preganacy with Keelie who is now almost 12. We had taken a company trip to this notorious city and especially considering my huge belly decided after the first night that the crowds and craziness of the nightlife forced us to explore a different part of the city. As we soon found out from carriage drivers and local store owners, NOLA has a rich and vast history. The architecture, the music, the art, the food, and the people are in my opinion more unique than in any other city I have ever visited in the United States.
Mardi Gras actually started in the late 1700s. Wealthy people held lavish balls in order to let loose and have fun before the start of Lent when it's customary to "do without" in observation for the upcoming Easter celebration. Today there are several Krewe's that make it their business to "put on" the parades leading up to Fat Tuesday. It is the ONLY American parade season, if you will, not put on by the city. The only thing that the city takes care of is the police presence. The 150-200 year old clubs are much like sororities or fraternities. You have to be a member and you have to pay dues to belong then you fundraise with things such as bingo in order to fund your parade floats, bands, and throws. It is the only time that a city conducts a party for itself. I'm quite certain that the shops and restaurants enjoy the travelers that attend for their profit margin but the parades and balls are NOT for the general public and in fact if you are not a native you may find it hard to even know where things a being held or what specifically is held.
What I love about it is the OVER THE TOPness of it. The crowns, septures, the ball gowns, the throws, all because the natives want to. No other reason, no other purpose. I love the idea of dressing up and naming Kings and Queens in lavish garb. I love the sense of pride that they must feel that another year has produced another season of fun and memories. As is the tradition when rushing in Greek life, there isn't a governing body other than the individual groups that put the parades on that decide the theme or the costumes for that year.
The city itself has culture steept in French/Spanish tradition that is apparent from the dialect to the food to the buildings. The balcony for instance was created for two reasons. One is so that the wealthy people could be outside and over look the city and yet be protected from the "commoners" as well as the sun on a super hot New Orleans day and there are many. That is also why the houses are made in the shotgun style to allow better airflow. Also, there are many courtyards in the middle of the homes for the same reasons.
The city has so many unique features and I haven't even talked about the food, the jazz, or most importantly the spirit of the city. It is just a really cool place that throws the biggest party in the United States for itself and unlike most people think it is VERY kid friendly when it comes to the parades and lifestyle of the "Big Easy". I really cannot think of a place that compares or a reason to want to try..and if I had my choice, I'd live there doing crawfish broils on the bayou and be riding on a parade float listening to people say "throw me something mister" every year...

No comments:

Post a Comment